Those who know me may have heard me raving about one of my favourite past times – No Lights No Lycra (NLNL) because it is SO FREAKIN FUN. Head to the link for the full story but in short, basically you go into a room, the lights get switched off and you dance your ass off to excellent tunes for an hour – without the fear of anyone seeing your potentially heinous dance moves. I love it. I head along whenever I get the chance, to the Adelaide one in Stepney and shake what my mumma gave me. It’s a chance, for most, to switch off mentally however I have found that with the tunes pumping and my feet moving, some odd things pass through my mind – so I thought I would share them with you…(and hey, maybe you might want to come along some time?)
- Oh Wow, it’s so dark…OHMIGAWD WHOSE HAND IS THAT ON MY NECK? Oh wait, it’s mine…
- Argh how great is this song, hey if Missy Elliot can learn all the words to a Missy Elliot song then I should be able to as well. I’d be a sick rapper…
- Not enough people pull out the ‘shopping trolley’ move in the club. I must incorporate it next time I hit the d-floor
- Oh wow, I’m stuffed…how has it only been four songs….
- SHIT YEAH THIS SONG TOTALLY SPEAKS TO MY SOUL, I AM TOTALLY ADDICTED TO BASS
- Note to self, I must download ALL Taylor Swift songs when I get home, especially the earlier stuff
- There really isn’t enough Prodigy on the work playlist, I think I’ll add ‘Smack My Bitch Up’ when I’m in the office next
- Shit I am good at this, I wonder if ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ is still a thing…actually I may as well go straight to the top, hopefully Britney is still taking applications for dancers for her Vegas show, I’m a shoe in
- Oh shit, note to self, don’t pull that move again, Alicia you need your ankles functioning for the purpose of WALKING
- Oh what is this song, I must ask the girl who programmed the list, I really want to add it to the playlist for my fantasy wedding reception (actual legit thing)
- Holy shit, I like most music but for some reason Dubstep really makes me want to destroy every electrical appliance I own – even the ones I really like…
- Gee George Michael really was so sassy in his prime – and I honestly think that the use of tambourine in Faith is pure musical genius
- Oh wow, this song is great, I haven’t heard THIS club track since 2003 when I thought Celicas were the coolest cars in the world because the cute boy down the street drove one…he turned out to be a bit of a knob. No surprises there.
- WHAT?! Last song already…okay I better enjoy this…
- Just sayin, how bloody awesome is my damned fine, strong, beautiful, powerful and capable body that allows me to dance like crazy for an hour? AND how awesome are the bits that jiggle when I shake ma thang? They the best.
- OHMIGAWD IT IS SO BRIGHT…BRIGHT LIGHT BRIGHT LIGHT.
12 HOURS LATER:
Does anyone know a good physio? It hurts when I try to human.
48 HOURS LATER
Eugh can’t it be Monday already? I wanna dance again!!!!
2 thoughts on “Confessions of a No Lights No Lycra Addict”
“[I]f Missy Elliot can learn all the words to a Missy Elliot song then I should be able to as well.”
This line made me laugh. I don’t listen to a lot of hip hop, but when I do, I always wonder how they memorize so many words. I’ve listened to Aesop Rock’s “Skelethon” thousands of times but still don’t have it memorized. I don’t know if that means I’m not smart or that I have a degenerative brain issue or what.
I dance around my room all of the time. I look like an idiot when I do.
It’s crazy isn’t it? And not just the words but the speed – I did manage to learn all the words to the rap section of ‘Fancy’ by Iggy Azelia because it gets played on the radio so much and I surprised myself with that – and definitely plan to show off with it next time i go to karaoke! I think repetition must be key!
That’s the best thing about No Lights No Lycra – looking like an idiot but no one can see you but knowing that everyone else there is probably looking a bit crazy too. Then you all have this shared experience of doing it together and at the end when the lights come on, everyone is puffed out and red faced so you know they all danced just as hard, that’s kind of cool and kind of liberating too!